Draft Minutes of the Meeting held Wednesday 25th May 2022. 8.00 p.m. Maxwell Hall, Port William


Draft Minutes of the Meeting held Wednesday 25th May 2022. 8.00 p.m. Maxwell Hall, Port William

  1. PRESENT:- Community Councillors – Mr R Sheppard (Chairman); Mr L Gray (Secretary);  Mr D Ballantyne (Treasurer); Mr Paul Carrigan: Ms Rebecca Davison; Mrs J Edgar; Mr R McElrea;  Mr J McMaster; Mrs B Mellor; Mr S Mellor.


Elected member – Cllr K Hagmann;


Members of the Public – Dr J Crowther; Mrs J Gray (Acting Minute Secretary);  Mrs L McNaught; Mr S Mellor.


  1. Declarations of Interest: – None relevant to matters to be discussed.


  1. Police Report – Two Officers attended and informed members that they had had a report of a suspicious vehicle within the Port William area – this had been investigated and, with enquiries now complete, no criminality had been detected. They also advised of Trading Standards, Scotland launch of their annual ‘ Shut out Scammers’ campaign which will run for four weeks; subjects covered are – Mis-selling of Energy Efficiency Measures; Home Improvements(Consumer Led); Home Improvements(Cold Callers); and Consumer Empowerment – a social media kit of downloadable leaflets, information posters and ‘No Cold Calling’ stickers has been developed.


  1. Minutes of the meeting held 27th April having been previously circulated and taken as read were proposed as a true and accurate record by Mr D Ballantyne and seconded by Mr L Gray.


  1. Matters Arising
  • Further to the discussion in respect of dedicating sections of council car parks to camper vans Mr McMaster confirmed that the Harbour Car Park in Port William is not council owned. In view of a possible grant for such as advised by David Inglis at the last meeting he also spoke of the car park at the Golf Club at St Medan’ s with Cllr Hagmann confirming that any available funding must be applied for. She said that it is expected that 4 to 6 spaces may be allocated but with no facilities being provided, and Mr McMaster said that signs in regard to waste disposal had already been erected.
  • Kilgallioch Community Benefit Fund – i) Village Notice Board – Dr Crowther said that she did not feel the costing of £408 as stated in the minutes of the 27th April to be a realistic figure as she had already looked at some options which had been at a much higher cost. She agreed to investigate this further and was advised to look at a company by the name of ‘JACSUK ‘who specialise in making these using recycled materials. ii) Mr Gray to apply for funding on behalf of Mochrum Carpet Bowling Club.
  • Derelict Building, Port William Harbour – Cllr Hagmann advised that Elected members were taking forward their strategy on derelict buildings and that this issue was listed on their next agenda.
  • Killantrae Road – Mrs Mellor expressed concern that despite previous complaints nothing had been done to improve the condition of this road – Cllr Hagmann agreed to investigate.


  1. Finance Report – Copies of the Income and Expenditure accounts having been previously circulated Mr Ballantyne advised that the bank balance now stands at £ 2343.10, being £ 936.03 Administration Fund; £ 857.07 Village improvements and £550.00 from Kilgallioch Community Benefit Fund. He confirmed that Mr McElrea and Mrs Mellor had now been added as signatories on the accounts and that Mr Smellie had been removed.


  1. Correspondence – Mrs Mellor confirmed receipt of an e- mail received in regard to £60,000 worth of funding for youth groups which she was advised to forward to any such groups as well as to the school and to the Community Development Trust. Cllr Hagmann also spoke of a further allocation of around £600,000 to be available from June and advised members to consider a project for which to make an application, adding that if it was suitable project it could also be eligible for matched funding from the Kilgallioch Community Benefit. The possibility of improving the play area in Port William was muted and Cllr Hagmann suggested that a sub committee be formed to take this forward. She also reminded members that Melinda Dolan, as Ward Officer, would be able to assist them in such project.


  1. Kilgallioch & Carcreugh updates – Nothing to report – awaiting next round of funding


  1. Planning Applications – Nothing to Report


  1. Website/Social Media Update – Nothing to Report.





  1. A.O.B. –
  • Resignations and Co-options – Members noted the resignation of Mr Steve Mellor as a Community Councillor which together with the resignation of Mr Peter Smellie, who has now moved away from the area, created two vacancies within the Port William Community Council. Dr Jacqueline Crowther and Mrs Lesley McNaught were duly proposed by Mr Jock McMaster; Seconded by Ms Rebecca Davison to fulfil these vacancies and, in accordance with the Scheme of Establishment, full details of this proposed co-option will be included in the Agenda of the meeting to be held on the 29th June 2022
  • Mr McMaster said how he had been approached by the occupant of a house on the road between Monreith and Port William who was very concerned that heavy traffic was causing severe vibrations within her home. There is also concern of subsidence on this section of road and Cllr Hagmann requested that Mr McMaster pass on her e-mail address to the lady concerned and ask that she contact her direct.


There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.35 p.m.


Date and Time of the Next Meeting – 29th June 7.30 p.m. Maxwell Hall Supper Room.